On finding my VOICE

Thursday, December 31, 2015


As I sit here with a slight breeze blowing in my office window, I hear the voices of 2 little boys playing next door and smile at their chatter and their relationship with their grandparents.

It occurred to me that this is my One Little Word VOICE in action. Communication and each with their own individuality.  Already, a day before the 2016 workshop begins, my word has pushed and pulled me. I sat down and tried to think out roughly why I chose this word and what my intentions are for the new year.

Originally I wanted to find my visual voice, in particular my photography. It's become such a passion that I contemplated studying photography in 2016, but in the end, I feel I'm making great progress on my own and in conjunction with other studies and research. I mean, honestly, 6 months ago I almost exclusively used my DSLR on an auto mode. I found it too overwhelming to select the correct functions fast and so took the easy way out. One day my son said "Mum, just put it on manual and never go back. You'll figure it out." And because I can't let my son get that over me, I did just that and I have figured a lot out. Trouble is, you realise, the more you figure out, the more you realise there is to learn!

When I wondered what sort of photographer I might be, should I be say, a professional... I was a little stumped. There are so, so many directions one could take. What excites me most? When it comes down to it, I'm most drawn to editorial photography. But within that what is my style? Well, I'm going to have fun exploring and experimenting.

It's not all about visual though. I realise that there's my written voice, my oral voice, and my inner voice; all of equal importance. It will be an interesting year figuring out what my style is and listening to my gut.

Once again I'm going with a 6x8 album for this workshop, but I've started a new album and I want to add in research and notes, as well as the monthly prompt work from Ali. It'll be very much a working manual.

Very much excited to commence this new year. As I say goodbye to 2015, I'm sad to end my year on the Becky Higgins Creative Team 2015, but pleased to have a new direction. I will of course, still be doing Project Life. I also have a plan for a project which involves photography and probably all I've learned on my OLW journey over the last 3 years:) I feel a sense of freedom and freshness entering 2016. Long may that feeling last!

If you're doing the One Little Word workshop, I'd love to hear your words. Today a potential word for 2017 popped up! (insert big eyed emoji). That's getting a bit ahead of myself.

Wherever you are have a very happy and safe New Year.

Donna xx




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)